Tuesday 27 September 2011

Sense and Sensibility, Austen 18th Century romance, history?

I watched the BBC 2008, version of,  'Sense & Sensibility', last night.   My favourite had been the Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson movie but after watching this version I actually understood it and appreciated the  actor's and how it was directed making it more credible.  Understated would be the best description with a lot of recognizable British actor's but no stars, they actually brought the era and the nuance of Austen's writing to the forefront of the story.

The young woman I know are enthralled with Austen, being a Bronte fan I have found it hard to get into the character's however I have put that down to being a feminist.  I also have a Yorkshire influenced background so living in a country parsonage makes more sense to me then a grand house with servants.  Although the Bronte's had their servants, maybe paid for by the parish.

I have also spent more time in the north than the gentrified areas of Sussex and Devonshire.  I have to say as a period piece it does capture the 18th century era.  I have not checked the timeline of Austen's writing although I know it had to be near the era of the Napoleonic Wars.  They are certainly not present in the scenes or spoken about neither are the hero's, Wellington or Nelson.

Jane Austen's awareness of emotion and female anxiety is brilliant.  It struck me as how two hundred years later we are still dealing with similar emotions with a lot less support.

I have to tip my hat to the Austenite's and the British cast and Director of the BBC  2008 version, it gave me an interesting window into that era and the woman who helped shape it.

No comments:

Post a Comment