Friday 4 November 2011

WWII and the BBC, a look on the past.

I have spent the last two days watching the beginning of the BBC series  The History of World War II.
I think I have watched about eight hours.  The footage is amazing the narrators and observations of the people who where directly involved make it fascinating.   This is history film at its best.   It also can reach a wider audience and easier access.

The BBC is I think the best television in the world.   Being a frustrated history teacher this appeals to me and I can watch it right through to the end.   I did have family involved in the war and affected by the war but then who didn't.

I have spent the last week watching the series.  The first two DVD's were on the Nazi rise to power and the war.  They were shown for the lack of organization at the top and how Hitler used his staff against one another, giving two men the same task.   Hitler's magnetic personality controlled and influenced people but what real interest did he have in the future of his people when he invaded Russia.   His arrogance and ignorance brought his people to ruination.  

The most amazing part is the Hitler admired the British (Empire) Commonwealth.  In his warped way that is what he tried to do for Germany.  It seems to me after reading about Kaiser Wilhelm II that he also had this envy.

The film footage and the interviews of the people who were there are excellent.   It is a tribute to the documentary maker they have made such an excellent piece of work.

I have to admit the DVD on the Submariners titled Battle of the Atlantic, has to be my favourite.   The sailer's and merchant marines who faced the German subs must be some of the bravest of men.

The series is a set of DVD's that are not in order of events.   The first is of the Nazi's on two DVD's  to a further four DVD's , The Road to War, War of the Century,  Dunkirk.  This is the first set.

The second set of DVD's, The War in the East, Battlefields, D-Day, D-Day to Berlin.  The final two are two DVD's on Auschwitz.

In toll there were 55 million people who died in the conflict.   This Remembrances Day  I will as I have always spent the minute in silence being thankful for not only my Father's contribution in the war but to the men of the forces who bravely sacrificed their lives and the ones who survived to end the evil of the war .    

No comments:

Post a Comment